Saturday, July 15, 2023

How Do I Do This? The Real and Raw Truth About Raising a Child with Special Needs

  



Are You a Parent of a Child With Special Needs?

Are You Feeling Overwhelmed By What This Means and What the Future Might Hold?

Are You Needing Encouragement and Hope For the Journey Ahead?

Then this book is for you!

My daughter Sarah is 28. She is non-verbal autistic. When Sarah was first diagnosed, I felt devastated. The fear of the unknown as to what lay ahead was absolutely overwhelming. I was forced to travel a road I had never imagined I would be on, and which was often so hard that I could barely breathe. Yet on that road I met countless wonderful people who helped and supported me and Sarah, many of whom I have interviewed for this book.

I would dearly loved to have read this book at the beginning of my journey as a mother of a child with special needs. It is a collection of interviews with parents of children with autism, sensory processing disorder, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Down Syndrome, epilepsy, Fragile X, intellectual impairment, cerebral palsy and Asperger's Syndrome. In my experience, finding people who have travelled further ahead on the same road we are on helps us not to feel so alone. Their experience and the knowledge they have gained can provide a roadmap for us - to shine a light in the darkness of the unknown.

This is a book which aims to help those at all stages of the special needs journey, beginning at children aged 7 and under, and progressing through teens, 20s, 30s and 40s-50s. There are stories from single parents and parents who have more than one child with special needs.

These are true stories from real parents all over the world. These are raw and real stories, woven together with threads of heartbreak and hope, grief and joy, courage and fear, tenacity and persistence and deep, abiding love.

No comments:

Post a Comment